- Privatizing Transportation Networks: Bad Deals, Higher Costs and Failed Accountability
Public-private partnerships privatize valuable public assets such as roads and bridges to guarantee long-term returns to financiers at the expense of taxpayers.
Contact a sector specialist
CONNECT WITH MEMBERS
The AFSCME Transportation Caucus is a forum to share and discuss the issues that impact our work. Caucus members should work or have an interest in transit, road design and maintenance, or transportation services as a public good. We discuss funding and financing questions for transportation infrastructure, as well as emerging technologies and practices that will change our industry in the future.
sector news and updates
Transportation updates from the AFSCME Information Highway
- Default Study: 2017 U.S. Public Finance Transportation Default Study And Rating Transitions
- Here’s How Much Time You’ll Waste Commuting in Your Lifetime (by City)
- Cameras can catch cars that run red lights, but that doesn’t make streets safer
- Driven into Debt: How Tickets Burden the Poor
- Large, established toll road systems are better positioned for the next recession
Transportation coverage from the AFSCME Privatization Update
- Messenger: Cost to start down runway of airport privatization in St. Louis? More than $800,000 per month.
- State launches investigation, assesses $800,000 in damages against SunPass contractor
- The $1.4 Billion Transit Fund the U.S. Government Won’t Release
- Metro shuttle bus operator in trouble for distracted driving
- Latimer: Airport privatization in the legislature’s hands