Cost of Living
Data and tools
- Consumer Price Index
Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Cost of Living Adjustment Contract Language Considerations and Examples
Guidance and examples from Research and Collective Bargaining Staff
- BLS Inflation Calculator
Consumer Price Index-based inflation calculator from Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Compare cost of living between cities
Allows comparisons of buying power across the 50 states and the District of Columbia, or from one metro area to another, for a given year. Price levels are expressed as a percentage of the overall national level.
Which data should I use?
- Should I use monthly CPI figures or annual averages?
Calculating annual inflation for a specific month (for example, from December to December) gives you more recent data, but using annual averages smooths out the volatility that can occur in monthly CPI data.
- Should I use seasonally adjusted or unadjusted data?
BLS advises using unadjusted CPI data for escalation clauses
- More BLS CPI Frequently Asked Questions