- State-by-State Fact Sheets: Higher Education Cuts Jeopardize Students’ and States’ Economic Future
These fact sheets from the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities show that funding cuts have often been accompanied by tuition hikes and cuts in campus staff and programs that may reduce the quality of education for students.
- Outsourcing Higher Education Support Services: The Wrong Choice
State funding for higher education has been on the decline for decades. But privatization-based cost saving measures lead to a loss of accountability, fail to save money and lower the quality of services, while harming workers and the local economy.
Contact a sector specialist
CONNECT WITH MEMBERS
Whether it be keeping campus grounds safe and clean, or providing dining, financial, technical or administrative services, AFSCME members make colleges and universities great places to live and learn. Join a national conversation on higher education workplace issues. Share your challenges, your victories and your lessons learned. Get to know your sisters and brothers at colleges and universities across the country!
sector news and updates
Higher education updates from the AFSCME Information Highway
- Governors’ Top Education Priorities in 2019 State of the State Addresses
- Projections of Education Statistics to 2027
- Alexander’s Loan-Repayment Overhaul
- Emerging Iterations on State Free College Policy in the 2019 Legislative Sessions
- Higher education – US: Stronger state financial support benefits public universities
Higher education coverage from the AFSCME Privatization Update
- Safety violations at UM dining hall mean proposed fines of $134,000 for managing company
- Pa.’s student aid agency outsources jobs in hopes of increasing profits – and money for state grants
- The State Lawsuit That Could Set a Precedent for Nationwide Student-Loan Refunds
- Trump Administration Backs Off Reshuffling of Student Debt Collection
- The Woman Standing in the Way of the Privatization of Thousands of Jobs in Tennessee Was Just Fired