Continuing Education and Certifications
- State/Regional Certifications for Public Library Workers
Information on state certification requirements for both MLS and non-MLS library workers
- Online Learning
Webinars hosted by the Public Library Association for continuing education credits
Advocacy and Professional Organizations
EveryLibrary is the first and only national organization dedicated exclusively to political action at a local level to create, renew, and protect public funding for libraries of all types. They provide tactical and operational support to local voter awareness campaigns, seed and sustaining monies to local ballot committees and PACs, as well as conducting direct voter advocacy in support of library taxing, bonding, and referendum. Their training and coaching for library staff and leadership in advance of an Information Only campaign is uniquely focused.
Contact a sector specialist
CONNECT WITH MEMBERS
The AFSCME Library Workers group is the place where all library workers can get together and talk about the issues that affect their library system. Join to find out what others are doing in response to workplace issues such as security concerns, evolving responsibilities, continuing education opportunities and how all of those issues are translating into progress at the bargaining table. Through this group, you’ll get to see how library workers’ experiences are different, but still very much the same no matter if you are working in Los Angeles or Nashua.
Follow Us on Twitter
sector news and updates
Library workers updates from the AFSCME Information Highway
- Saving Lives in the Stacks How libraries are handling the opioid crisis
- How much do librarians make? 2017 librarian salary ranges
- IMLS Funding Reports by State 2011-2016
- Remotivating the Black Vote: The Effect of Low-Quality Information on Black Voters in the 2016 Presidential Election and How Librarians Can Intervene
- New Trump Budget Eliminates Arts, Humanities, Library Agencies
Library workers coverage from the AFSCME Privatization Update
- Hancock County Debates Privatizing Library System
- Privatization of county library is not an option, official says
- After failure of Measure F, what’s next for Kern’s libraries?
- Judge rules against group trying to halt sale of Brooklyn Heights Library
- City of Redding, Calif. Signs Contract with Library Systems & Services for Another Five Years