- Outsourcing Social Services: Eliminating Public Watchdogs
Outsourcing is promoted as a way to save money, improve services, and shake up so-called “unaccountable bureaucracies.” But in reality, it often fails on all counts, especially in attempts to outsource human and social services.
Contact a sector specialist
sector news and updates
Human services updates from the AFSCME Information Highway
- House Agriculture Committee’s Farm Bill Would Increase Food Insecurity and Hardship
- The Poverty Reduction of Social Security and Means-Tested Transfers
- I Work with Mark Janus. Here’s How He Benefits from a Strong Union.
- States waste hundreds of thousands on drug testing for welfare, but have little to show for it
- As Fair Housing Act Turns 50, Landmark Law Faces Uncertain Future
Human services coverage from the AFSCME Privatization Update
- Does KanCare work? The state’s data is so bad, legislative auditors can’t tell
- Bill passes in Senate that avoids strike of group home workers
- Florida Moves to Shut Down For-Profit Residence After Finding Horrific Abuse and Neglect
- Audit finds state lacks documented oversight of new foster care model
- DHHS reviews child abuse cases it contracted out