- State-by-State Fact Sheets: Higher Education Cuts Jeopardize Students’ and States’ Economic Future
These fact sheets from the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities show that funding cuts have often been accompanied by tuition hikes and cuts in campus staff and programs that may reduce the quality of education for students.
- Outsourcing Higher Education Support Services: The Wrong Choice
State funding for higher education has been on the decline for decades. But privatization-based cost saving measures lead to a loss of accountability, fail to save money and lower the quality of services, while harming workers and the local economy.
Contact a sector specialist
CONNECT WITH MEMBERS
Whether it be keeping campus grounds safe and clean, or providing dining, financial, technical or administrative services, AFSCME members make colleges and universities great places to live and learn. Join a national conversation on higher education workplace issues. Share your challenges, your victories and your lessons learned. Get to know your sisters and brothers at colleges and universities across the country!
sector news and updates
Higher education updates from the AFSCME Information Highway
- A growing Jeffco program trains future early childhood workers while they’re still in high school
- Time Demands of Single Mother College Students and the Role of Child Care in their Postsecondary Success
- Ohio State University – salary information
- Post-Secondary Employment Outcomes (PSEO) (Beta)
- Flawed Judgment in Use of Force Against Students?
Higher education coverage from the AFSCME Privatization Update
- The Woman Standing in the Way of the Privatization of Thousands of Jobs in Tennessee Was Just Fired
- Privatized student housing – Four key trends will differentiate older and newer P3 projects next year
- A Troubled Accreditor’s Long-Term Outlook
- UW Students Occupy Building to Protest Closure of Unionized Laundry
- Napolitano addresses higher education access, student support at LA event