A lot of preparation goes into bargaining before the first session with management. Use these tools and templates to make your bargaining request to management, train your bargaining team, gather information, write language and more.
When you’re bargaining at the table, use these tools to determine if the employer can afford the union’s economic proposal and how health and pension benefits proposals will impact members.
Bargaining can get especially challenging if the employer claims poverty, threatens layoffs or privatization or pushes negotiations to impasse. Use these tools to help you resolve these difficult situations.
Bargaining News and reports
Bargaining updates from the AFSCME Information Highway blog
- Everything Passes, Everything Changes: Unionization and Collective Bargaining in Higher Education
- A Contract Campaign from Virtual to In Their Face
- The Personality Traits of Good Negotiators
- How to Gain and Use Leverage in Every Negotiation: Applying It at the Right Time Is Key
- Using Your Contract Survey to Maximum Effect